Wednesday, March 12, 2008

How To Boost Your Stage Show Presentation (re: Bruce Springsteen)


Wednesday, March 12, 2008 -- By Wow Jones


Came across this anecdote while reading a profile on music executive Clive Davis. I've come across this anecdote many, many times in prior Clive Davis profiles but I am getting this from the February 21, 2008 issue of Rolling Stone (Britney Spears is on the cover). The article's author is Rich Cohen. In this anecdote Clive Davis mentions the advice he gave to beginning rocker Bruce Springsteen.

Clive Davis

“I took over a theater in L.A. called the Ahmanson. It had a huge stage - - bigger than Radio City. I put Anthony Newman with the chamber ensemble. I put Miles Davis on with Johnny Mathis and Springsteen. “



“Bruce gets on, I’m sitting in the audience. He’s singing ‘Spirit In the Night,’ standing on this big fucking stage, and not moving. I go up and say, ‘Listen, it’s one thing when you’re in Max’s Kansas City or in a small club where there’s no room. But Bruce - - when you got on a stage like this, you’ve got to move!’ " -- Clive Davis on early Bruce Springsteen


Bruce Springsteen in the 70s





“I said, ‘Go to this side of the stage, go to the other side. Make use of the stage!’ “

"Segue to 1975. Bruce calls me and says, ‘I’m playing at The Bottom Line. You’ve gotta come.’ I go with Lou Reed, who’s never even heard of Bruce at this time. The show begins. I can’t even recognize Bruce. He’s a dervish, jumping over tables, going all over the room."





Bruce Springsteen in the 70s




"I go backstage, and before I say anything, Bruce says, ‘Did I move enough for you?’ ” -- Clive Davis


MOVE across the stage people!


-- The Wow Jones Report

No comments: